The iPhone has a feature that allows you to update or restore the device without needing a computer. This is great if you have limited access to a computer, but it can be very frustrating if your phone’s battery dies before the process finishes. In order to update IOS without WiFi, you must have a recent backup of your phone available on iTunes so that the process does not have to start from scratch. If you have an iOS device and no WiFi, go straight to ‘Updating IOS Without Wifi’.
In order to update or restore your device without a computer, you must have a recent backup of your phone available on iTunes. If that is not the case, then the process will start from scratch with an iOS version that has never been used before. Updating IOS Without WiFi will require turning off Automatic Updates and may require activating the iPhone as a new device.
How to backup iphone without wifi
- Open iTunes on your computer and plug in the device. You can update IOS without WiFi after creating a backup of the device, so it is important to plug in your iPhone before continuing.
- Click on “This Computer” under ‘Backup Options’ and then check the box that says: ‘Encrypt local backup’.
- Click ‘Back Up Now’. This might take a while depending on how big the phone’s data is and how fast your computer is.
- When finished, make sure to check the box that says: “Show in Finder” under ‘Backup Options’ in iTunes and save the .ipcc file. If this is a new phone, then the backup file will be named “Backup.ipcc”.
- After saving the .ipcc file, disconnect your iPhone from the computer and head over to ‘Updating IOS Without Wifi’.
How to update iphone without wifi
- Turn off WiFi in your iPhone’s settings.
- Turn off Automatic Updates in the iTunes and App Store section of the Settings app. If this is a new phone, then go to General > Software Update and turn ‘Find New Updates’ off.
- Connect your iOS device to a power source using a USB cable. You can use any USB port or power adapter for this part.
- Open iTunes and select your device when it appears under ‘Devices’.
- Click the button that says: ‘Check for Update’ in iTunes while holding down the Option (Mac) or Shift (Windows) key on your keyboard. If you do not see this option, click anywhere inside of iTunes and try again.
- Select ‘Download and Update’ when the button shows up in the pop-up window in iTunes. The update should not take long and it will not require a computer or WiFi after this process has been completed successfully.
- When finished updating IOS without wifi, connect your phone to WiFi for use and click ‘Restore Backup’ on the iPhone’s summary page in iTunes.
- Make sure that you selected the .ipcc file that you saved previously and then click ‘Restore’. This will take a while and it is important to only disconnect the device once this process has been completed successfully and your phone is working properly again.
Updating IOS Without Wifi is a fairly easy and quick process, but it can be very frustrating if done incorrectly or without a recent backup of your device. Make sure you connect to power and turn off WiFi before updating any iOS versions in the future if you do not have access to a computer at this time. Once finished re-connect your phone to WiFi and restore any backups that you feel are necessary for use afterwards.
There are many articles online that explain how to update IOS without wifi, but this is not very common. Updating or restoring an iOS device with no WiFi should only be done when absolutely necessary in case of emergencies.