As the popularity of marijuana grows, consumers are finding more ways to enjoy their favorite buds. Not every enthusiast of the 420 community can handle the standard delivery method of smoking. This is where concentrates, dabs, and now edibles have joined the mix.
You’ve spent weeks cultivating your Freakshow seeds and want to start making delicious treats?
Join us as we explore the world of using concentrates and dabs to make edibles. We’ll also explore the steps required and how to determine the correct dosage.
Don’t Skip Decarboxylation
Many have made the mistake of thinking they could make cannabis edibles by simply adding the crushed buds. While this sounds like a simple enough procedure, it actually has a few extra steps.
This is where decarboxylation comes in. Decarbing concentrates or dabs converts the non-psychoactive THCa compound to the active THC. This means that the edibles will induce cerebral effects.
Just keep in mind that slowly decarbing retains terpenes and cannabinoids in the concentrates. Low and slow is the key to decarboxylation success. Decarb the concentrate forms in the following methods.
● Wax: Place the concentrate in a lined baking tray or oven-safe pan. Put it in the oven at 200-250º F for 20–25 minutes.
● Oil: Add cooking oil to a large pot, then add the concentrate oil vial. Bring the content up to medium-low heat (200º F). remove from the heat and wait for the bubbles to clear away then remove the concentrate oil vial.
● Kief: Place kief on a lined baking tray and preheat the oven to 200º F and turn the oven off. Place the tray in the oven and allow it to cool for 15–20 minutes then remove.
Step-by-Step to Making Cannabutter
The most effective way to incorporate concentrates to your edibles recipes, is by using cannabutter or infused oil. Follow the comprehensive steps listed below to start making delectable edibles.
- Once decarboxylation is done, place the cooled concentrate in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Heat the frozen concentrate in a saucepan over low heat. Allow it to melt completely without boiling.
- Slightly heat the butter up, coconut oil, or any alternatives with high levels of saturated fats. You may use cooking oil as well.
Be sure to combine the ingredients thoroughly while gently stirring the mixture.
With homemade cannabutter at your disposal, you’re ready to take your culinary experience to the next level. Enjoy pasta dishes, baked goods, refreshing beverages, and an assortment of other delectable treats.
Just substitute the standard butter or oil in any of your preferred recipes with your homemade cannabutter or infused oil. Relish the gastronomic experience and delightful effects that your culinary masterpiece delivers.
Finding the Right Dosage
Before consuming any infused edibles, you must consider the potency of the concentrate used. If the edibles are too strong, you’ll only have an unpleasant experience.
So before making a batch of infused peanut butter cookies, consider the following points.
● How much concentrate are you using? The weight in grams.
● What is the THC and CBD percentage of the strain used for the concentrate?
● What is the size of the yield?
Use the following equation for the dosage calculation.
(weight x THC% x 1,000) / number of servings
For 0.25g of concentrate with 80% THC used in a batch of 8 cookies, the equations would look like:
(0.25 x 0.80) x 1,000 = 200 / 8 = 25mg
This means that each cookie in the batch would have approximately 25mg THC.
Of course, we only used the values in this example for demonstration and the typical values would be lower.
When determining which dosage to start with, it’s best to start low, around 1–2.5mg is advised. Some strains may take a while to take effect, so always give it around 45–60 minutes. If, after that time you still don’t feel anything, go ahead and take another.
Lip Smackingly Good
Whether you’re using concentrates to make delicious home-baked cookies, pizza, or cocktails, making edibles is an affordable way to use your favorite strains. Using concentrates is also an easier way to incorporate cannabis in your tasty snacks or drinks.
Just remember to start slow and increase the dosage gradually.
Head to the kitchen and enjoy those tasty treats.