Hey there! If you’re a fan of Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo Switch and want to master the art of long jumping, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, I’ll be sharing some valuable tips and techniques to help you become a pro at long jumping in Super Mario 64 Switch.
Long jumping is an essential move in Super Mario 64 that allows you to cover great distances with a single leap. It’s a skill that can save you precious time and help you reach otherwise unreachable areas.
Understanding the Basics of the Long Jump
What is the Long Jump in Super Mario 64?
The long jump is a fundamental move in Super Mario 64 that allows players to cover great distances with a single leap. It’s a technique that can be incredibly useful for navigating through the game’s vast and challenging levels. By performing a long jump, Mario can soar through the air and reach otherwise unreachable areas.
To execute the long jump, players need to combine a few simple movements. First, press and hold the ZL or ZR button to crouch and prepare for the jump. Then, press the B button to make Mario jump into the air. Finally, quickly release the ZL or ZR button while in mid-air to extend the jump and cover more ground.
Why is the Long Jump Important in Super Mario 64?
The long jump is an essential move in Super Mario 64 for several reasons. Mastering this technique can greatly enhance your gameplay experience and help you overcome various challenges in the game. Here’s why the long jump is important:
- Covering Large Distances: The long jump allows you to cover vast distances with a single leap. This is particularly useful when you need to reach platforms that are far away or when you want to quickly traverse across wide gaps.
- Reaching Hidden Areas: Super Mario 64 is filled with secret areas and hidden power-ups. By performing a long jump, you can reach these hidden spots that would otherwise be inaccessible. Exploring these areas might reward you with extra lives, power stars, or other valuable items.
- Speedrunning: For players who enjoy speedrunning, the long jump is a crucial technique to master. By efficiently using long jumps, you can complete levels faster and achieve better times. This is especially important if you’re participating in speedrun challenges or competitions.
- Avoiding Hazards: Many levels in Super Mario 64 are filled with hazards such as enemies, pits, and obstacles. The long jump can be used to safely bypass these hazards and avoid taking damage. With precise timing and execution, you can effortlessly sail over enemies and obstacles, keeping Mario out of harm’s way.
How to Long Jump in Super Mario 64 Switch
Know the Controls
To master the long jump in Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo Switch, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the game’s controls. Here are the basic controls you’ll need to perform a successful long jump:
- Press and hold the ZL button to crouch and prepare for the jump.
- While holding ZL, press the A button to perform a ground pound, which will give you the momentum needed for a long jump.
- As soon as you release ZL, press the B button to execute the jump.
Timing your Jump Correctly
Timing plays a crucial role in executing a perfect long jump. Here’s how to time your jump correctly:
- Start by crouching using the ZL button. This will allow you to build up the necessary momentum for a powerful jump.
- While still holding ZL, press the A button to perform a ground pound. This will give you an extra boost of speed.
- As soon as you release ZL, quickly press the B button to initiate the jump.
- The timing is crucial here. You want to press the B button just as you release ZL to maximize the distance of your jump.
Remember, practice makes perfect! It may take a few tries to get the timing down, but with patience and persistence, you’ll be able to execute the long jump flawlessly.
Utilizing Mario’s Speed
Mario’s speed is a key factor in performing a successful long jump. Here’s how you can make the most of his speed:
- Before attempting a long jump, build up Mario’s speed by running in a straight line.
- As you approach the point where you want to initiate the long jump, crouch using the ZL button to prepare for the jump.
- Combine Mario’s speed with the ground pound by pressing the A button while holding ZL. This will give you an additional boost of speed, allowing you to cover even greater distances with your long jump.
By utilizing Mario’s speed effectively, you’ll be able to reach hidden areas, speedrun through levels, and avoid hazards in the game.